Concepts for Kids
1. Liberty is the right of every person. Human beings are born equal and with the right to live and to choose what to do in their lives.
2. Liberty recognizes that everyone is different.
Each person has his or her own thoughts, feelings, and wishes.
3. Liberty allows people to be happy because free people get to choose more of what they want.
4. Liberty allows people to live meaningful lives. With liberty, people act in ways that are important to them.
5. Liberty encourages peace. When we respect the lives, liberty, and choices of others, we treat them gently, speak to them politely and do not force them to do what we want. This makes the world more peaceful.
6. Liberty promotes prosperity. Being free to work, buy and sell makes everyone better off.
Ideas for Grown Ups
An appreciation of the importance of liberty begins with understanding that, though people have much in common, all are unique individuals. Open your child's eyes to the huge assortment of people in the world. Help him or her to better comprehend those that seem different. A great way to do this is with literature.
Choices Make a Difference Word Cloud
In a free country, people are able to make decisions about their lives based on their personal values. Here are some important areas of life where those decisions are made:
Help your child create a word cloud:
here or here
Combine elements of your family's values. Add words about parents' choices of occupations, family configuration, education, religion, place of residence, favorite foods, or any other life aspects that are important to you. Include as well some of the child's choices such as interests, hobbies, sports, or free time activities. Print the results and post somewhere prominent.